Saturday, August 23, 2014

Washer & Dryer

I've been thinking about appliances, specifically our refrigerator and the washer/dryer, since our house comes with a stove, microwave, and dishwasher. 

One thing I'm trying to figure out is if we can take advantage of some sales now, but delay delivery until November - to anyone that has already built, how did you handle this???

Washer & Dryer
We had a front loading washer and dryer in our last house that we bought new.  I had to have them.  And then I hated them.  The washer always smelled like mildew no matter how much we let it air out or cleaned it.  And the dryer was AWFUL.  It ripped holes in almost all of our clothes and we HATED it.

Needless to say, we are very excited to get something new.  After reading and researching, I think we are going to go with the Maytag Bravos XL 4.8-cu ft High-Efficiency Top-Load Washer and the Maytag Bravos XL 7.3-cu ft Electric Dryer with Steam Cycles.  They've gotten great reviews online and I love the sleek new look of the top-loaders!  I'm in love!  Now I really hope we can find a good deal on them over Labor Day weekend!

Thanks to Young House Love for doing the research and pointing me in the direction of these beauties! 
 
Have you picked out your washer/dryer?  Are you going to do top-loading or front-loading for your washer?


6 comments:

  1. We had LG top loaders at the old house. They never unbalanced even with the biggest loads! That was the best.

    Even with the top loader we did get the "smell". I would run vinegar and one of those Tide washing machine cleaners through it once a month. Always leave the washer open too.

    I'm getting the same washer we had! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What kind of LG did you have? I've been able to avoid the smell in our rental with the top loader by leaving the top open.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the tips on the washer and dryer. I was doing research as we speak, they just broke ground on our lot so I am hoping to see the same things u are seeing soon. Would u add me to your blog roll? Www.happily ever rushed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! How exciting that you just broke ground! I can't wait to see your selections. I've added you to the blogs I follow! Can't wait to see your progress!!!

      Delete
  3. Home Depot, Best Buy, and Lowes were all willing to hold onto the purchases until we were ready to deliver. Most didn't want anything farther than 3 months out for fear of it getting misplaced/lost or accidentally being sold/delivered to another customer, but they were willing to hold it past 3 months (they just clarified that things happen so the longer timeline could lead to a random delay or issue). One good thing with delaying delivery is that you can keep getting price adjustments in case a better sale comes along for your purchase (Columbus day, veterans day, etc.). If you go to Lowes or HomeDepot, you can get a 10% off movers coupon for Lowes (which HD will usually honor) that can stack on top of the sales they offer.

    We have a front loading maytag and thankfully haven't had the smell issue. I keep the door and detergent tray open to air/dry it out when not in use and run an Affresh cycle about every 2-3 months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the input J & M! I was wondering how long they would hold the delivery, so it's nice to have an idea. I'll keep the stackable coupons in mind as well! Thanks so much!!!

      Delete